Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Aesthetic: Why I Don't Do Film


A long time ago, before I became Mr. Aesthetic, I had a passion for film making. I was the cliche wannabe future director in high school. I knew my film history, I knew how to edit on final cut pro, and I had my own Mini DV camera. Aside from making films with my buddies, Beauregard P. Grimes and I even filmed a pilot for a public access TV called "Random Tandem" which we planned to submit to MNN (that is until we discovered the ounce in his dad's freezer).

When I got to college and majored in Digital Media (a clusterfuck of tech training), I was already a better editor than my teacher (who used to work for WWF and bang Rick Flair or some shit). There was nothing more to learn. Editing is editing. The next step is to apply what you've learned in the industry. Unfortunately, I was well aware that a career in film is not defined by brilliant editing, but rather, working your way up the ranks. Applying my skills in the real world was going to be a long and trifling struggle. Thus, I ended my childhood hopes and dreams of being the next Kubrick.

Trying to pay my rent, I worked as production assistant with John Struggles on a 16 hour commercial shoot for Progresso soup. The call time was at 5AM and the outdoor set was on the Long Island Sound. The rain was coming down like rats and hogs and the temperature was barely above freezing. As I tread through 6 inch puddles in my dunks, I watched 100 other people scramble around a drenched set just to get one scene of a lame soup commercial.

Out of these 100 people, one or two have any say at all in the creativity of the videography. Otherwise, it's 98% grunt work. Many of these people make great money. $600 a day ( a union rate for grips, etc.) is serious cake. There's nothing wrong with being a worker bee...if that's your MO. However, for the kids who want to be creative, you're better off sitting at home and writing scripts (as long as Daddy pays for your Village loft after you graduate from NYU). If not, I wouldn't depend on an industry like that to honor the paid dues of a production assistant who wants to make movies. You have to be able to bring something else to the table.

In no other creative industry is working your way up the ladder as important. It's an industry for workers, not for artists. John Struggles: workhorse. Mr Aesthetic: fragile artist. If you are a hopeful future film maker, I highly suggest learning your way around other digital fields. Otherwise, that chance to show your editing skills may not come until you're 35 with back problems.

2 comments:

Dash Speaks on the Internet said...

word up, my brother got his degree in film and worked as a grip until he was in his early thirties, now he does sales. I think the latter actually ascribes him more creative control and abreaction.

Dap said...

I agree with Anonymous wholeheartedly. but nah, word to this, I know a few people who went through the same thing (and a few people still fooling themselves).