Thursday, December 3, 2009

TCG Photography: Miss Me?

Good Day Wilders!

I hope everyone had a lovely Turkey Day. I spent my Thanksgiving break sleeping, eating, and drinking which was perfect. I also continued a self portrait project that I am working on for one of my finals. The image above was a silly one that I thought perhaps all my wonderful friends back east would enjoy...you know you miss that face!

The two images below are from a wonderful adventure I took while fellow Wilder Daniel Lynas was in town! We took a trip to Oakland and Berkeley (the outer boroughs of San Francisco), or the East Bay (oooooh fancy). Lynas' good friend Devon took us to many places that a Wilder such as myself would not usually visit and the outcome was these two photographs. Devon, a magical creature himself is seen in the second image, setting up hammocks off the side of a mountain for the three of us to smoke, drink wine, and watch the sunset. It was heaven even for a city girl such as myself.



Here we end with two of my favorite models and people here in San Francisco. The amazing Alex Triliouris and Christina Gualy. As I've mentioned in earlier posts Gualy is an artist and she recently made the most amazing stencil of a human heart. I decided I had to photograph it, so she painted it on Alex's back for me and here we are! Perhaps another frame in the next installment of this series.

Here is one of my images (shot via a Hasselblad with a Polaroid back) of Gualy. We shot a series of portraits for her website. She painted her face using the techniques she uses in her paintings. We got a ton of amazing shots out of the session, but I found this one particularly interesting because of the gesture she was making. I got the shot when she was caught off guard and it reminding me of the famous image of Marilyn Monroe shot by Richard Avedon. Now trust me, I am in NO way trying to compare myself to Avedon. He attained a level of genius that most artists can only dream of. My point is simply that you can often get a very beautiful and gentle image when the subject has let their guard down and taken a moment to breathe.

'Til Next Week Wilders!

1 comment:

Dash Speaks on the Internet said...

all wonderful work thea. i do miss that face!